A Manual for Urban Projection
The Manual for Urban Projection (MUP) is a resource guide for Urban Projection (UP) concepts, strategies, and technologies. It combines observations by Urban Projection thinkers and practitioners with lessons gleaned from the authors’ collective experiences with Urban Projection, public curation, and other art adventures. MUP provides conceptual and practical approaches for experimentation with and deployment of projection technologies toward public communal experiences.
MUP is organized into three parts.
- Concepts, which assembles theories, strategies, contexts, and inspirations for urban projection projects.
- Tools, which explores the kinds of technologies and techniques required.
- Scenarios, which presents arrangements of people, equipment, and architectures that can inspire UP play and action.
MUP seeks to inspire investigations, reflections, storytelling, collaborative design, systems-thinking, and public imagination for new and current Urban Projectionists. As a project of The Center for Urban Intervention Research (CUIR), it contributes to a broader research initiative de-mystifying urban intervention practices and the instruments that enable them.
MUP Example Projects:
- “A Hole in Space” by Kit Galloway (1980)
- “Animal Dance” by Ali Momeni and Jenny Schmid (2010)
- “Animal Warmth #12” by Ali Momeni (2010)
- “B” by Andrew Steudel and Kyle Lovin (2008)
- “Battle of Everyouth” by Ali Momeni and Jenny Schmid (2011)
- “Colonial Chicken Love” by Niki Ulehla and MAW (2008)
- “Exquisite Corpse/Lavish Martyr” by Ali Momeni and MAW (2010)
- “Fargo Outing” by MAW (2010)
- “Gutless Warrior” by Ali Momeni and Jenny Schmid (2014)
- “Lights on Plains” by Ali Momeni and MAW (2010)
- “Minidisasters” by Ali Momeni and Sinan Goknur (2010)
- “No People Allowed” by Ali Momeni and Jenny Schmid (2008)
- “Plant Life” by Yuichiro Tanabe and MAW (2010)
- “Seaworthy” by Ali Momeni (2010)
- “State Crisis at Galata Tower” by MAW (2011)
- “The Parade” by Mobile Experiential Cinema (2014)
- “Urban Echo” by Chris Baker (2008)
- “Wall Games” by MAW (2010)
- “Where do you call home?” by Peter Thompson (2008)
- MAW on MakeTV
- Power Picks
- Intervention Picks
- Projection Picks
- Game Picks
- Projector Picks
- Camera Picks
- Controllers Picks
- Software Picks
MUP completed a successful KICKSTARTER in the summer of 2015. Now you can buy it right here:
Option 1: A Manual for Urban projection Hard Copy for $20
Option 2: A Manual for Urban projection Distributor 10-pack for $150
Option 3: A Manual for Urban projection Promotion Copy for $0.01
Please note that Option 3 requires prior agreement with CUIR.
You can download a pdf version of A Manual for Urban Projection at no cost.